In the summer, I pretty much live off of open-faced tomato sandwiches, which is really heirloom tomato toast. I can eat them every day for every meal without getting tired of them. It’s really the perfect meal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. There’s nothing like perfectly ripe tomatoes, crunchy bread, a little mayonnaise and coarse salt and freshly ground pepper. That’s really all you need for perfection.
To switch it up, you can use different olive oils, vinegars, add cheese like goat cheese or mozzarella, or add whatever herbs you have on hand. The options are limitless, but I usually keep it really simple to let the flavor of the tomatoes come through.
For this, I added some chopped smoky bacon and chives, which really enhance the tomatoes and don’t overpower them.
The secret is in the tomatoes. Buy the very best tomatoes you can find and get a nice variety of colors and sizes. They all taste and look a little different, and that makes it fun on the eyes and tongue. You will be happy you spent a few extra bucks with every bite.
Heirloom Tomato ToastPrint Pin Rate
- assorted heirloom tomatoes , thinly sliced
- 4 slices toast
- 2 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- extra virgin olive oil
- minced fresh chives
- coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Spread desired amount of mayonnaise on the hot toast, then layer the sliced tomatoes, bacon and chives on top.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season well with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.