This post is sponsored by 1888 Rum.
All opinions are my own.
Since I've been thinking lately that everything is better with rum, we're going to put a little riff on this classic cocktail by swapping in some super smooth 1888 Rum for the traditional Bourbon as the spirit. With only 3 ingredients (the spirit, sweet vermouth and bitters), the Manhattan is definitely a cocktail that your spirit can't hide behind. You want to use a Rum that is good enough to sip.
A little about 1888 Rum
1888 Rum is a premium double aged rum. It is first aged for up to 8 years in ex bourbon American oak casks, then in a second aging for up to 6 years in European oak sherry casks. The rum is so smooth that you will want to pour a little on the side to drink by itself.
1888 Rum is available at many retailers and online at ReserveBar.
How to make the 1888 Rum Manhattan
Combine the 1888 Rum rum, sweet vermouth, bitters and ice in a cocktail mixing glass. Stir for at least 30 seconds until the cocktail is well chilled and neat or over ice (preferably a large cube or a sphere). Garnish with a Maraschino cherry.
- Cocktail shaker
- Hawthorne strainer
- Jigger or small liquid measuring glass
- Coupe or rocks glass
- 2 oz Dark Rum (I recommend 1888 Rum)
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 oz Sweet Vermouth
- Maraschino Cherry for garnish
- Combine the rum, bitters and sweet vermouth in a mixing glass with ice.
- Stir for 30-45 seconds, then pour through a strainer into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a Maraschino cherry.
Thank you to 1888 Rum for sponsoring this post!