It has been a few days and I’m still craving this burger. The brie and caramelized onions take the flavors and textures to a place that is worth visiting over and over. Burgers that are stuffed with brie just never seem to satisfy. The beef is usually overcooked by the time the cheese is properly melted. I decided to bring out the creamy soft brie and really let it melt all over the patty while still in the pan. I also had some beautiful green onions from the farmers market and it just seemed like a good idea to add them to the skillet while the burgers were cooking.
Caramelized onions are such a great addition to so many things, and a burger is no exception. They are so easy to make and pack impressive flavor.
Brie + Caramelized Onion BurgerPrint Pin Rate
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic
- pinch of salt
- 12 oz ground beef more or less depending on the size you want your burger
- 4 slices high quality soft french brie cheese
- 1 small bunch green onions
- 4 slices sourdough bread can be substituted with any bread or bun
- salt + pepper
- Heat a small skillet with canola oil just until it starts to smoke.
- Add the sliced onion and sauté on low for about 15 minutes, or until they are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low and add the balsamic. Cook for a few more minutes, then season with a small pinch of kosher salt.
- Make two burger patties from the ground beef, then season with salt + pepper just before cooking.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet on high until it begins to smoke. Drizzle the skillet with just enough canola oil to coat the bottom with a thin layer.
- Add the burgers and green onions to the skillet and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook for about 4 minutes on the first side, or until they are nicely browned. Once you have flipped the burgers, add the brie cheese and caramelized onions on top of the cooked side to start the melting process. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on the second side, or until they are to your desired doneness and the cheese is melted.
- Remove burgers from skillet to rest. Toast the bread on each side in the hot skillet.
- Assemble with the bread, mayonnaise, burger, caramelized onions and top with the cooked green onions.