It might sound crazy to put a perfectly good head of romaine lettuce on a super hot grill. While it might even be a little crazy, it works so well to upgrade your favorite salad.
If you have never tried a grilled salad before, you are in for a surprise. Once you taste it, chances are you won’t want to eat a Caesar salad any other way again. Grilled Caesar with grilled bread is one of my favorite salads that can be prepared and ready to eat in just a few minutes. The slight charring of the lettuce adds a slightly smokey flavor that goes perfect with a creamy caesar dressing and grilled bread.
How to make Grilled Romaine Caesar Salad
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the baby romaine lettuce, then cut them in half lengthwise.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of the bread and the cut side of the romaine.
- Grill the romaine halves cut side down for two to three minutes.
- Dress with your favorite caesar dressing (or other favorite salad dressing), season with salt & freshly ground pepper, and sprinkle with shaved parmesan.
That’s it! Super simple and delicious.
What to serve with a grilled romaine salad?
- 2 heads baby romaine hearts cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices crusty bread
- shaved parmesan
- Caesar dressing
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your grill pan or outdoor grill on high.
- Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. Grill for a few minutes on each side until grill marks are formed and the bread starts to char along the edges.
- Brush the cut side of the romaine lettuce with olive oil. Grill on the cut side down for two to three minutes, until nice grill marks are formed and the lettuce starts to wilt slightly.
- Transfer to plates, season with salt and pepper, drizzle dressing and sprinkle parmesan on top. Serve immediately.