San Diego is famous for its perfect weather, sandy beaches, laidback lifestyle and of course, the fish taco. Fish tacos are one of my absolute favorite foods to eat, and there's no reason you can't enjoy the quick and healthy grilled version wherever you are.
I most enjoy dishes that focus on simplicity to really let the freshness and quality of ingredients shine. Some fish tacos are overloaded with ingredients and the flavors that make fish tacos so great, are hidden. With this recipe, the fish is really the star and is complimented by the freshness of the cilantro and lime, crispness of the cabbage and the zesty richness of the Sriracha mayo sauce.
You can use just about any flaky white fish, like cod, tilapia or halibut. Marinate the fish in fresh lime juice, canola oil, red onions and cilantro for 15 to 20 minutes. Marinating for too long will make some tasty ceviche, but it won't make for a very good grilled fish. Grilling the fish only takes a few minutes per side, so you will be enjoying your tasty taco in no time.
- 8 oz white flaky fish cut into 2oz portions
- 4 tortillas
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ of a red onion sliced thin
- ¾ cup shredded cabbage
- 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 avocado sliced
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- Sriracha to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the juice from one lime with the oil, half of the sliced onions and half of the cilantro. Marinate the fish in the mixture for 15-20 minutes (marinating for too long will start to cook the fish in the lime juice).
- Preheat your grill or grill pan on high heat. Grill the fish for about two minutes per side, then lightly season with salt.
- Place the tortillas on the grill for about 20 seconds per side.
- Divide the fish among the tortillas and garnish with shredded cabbage, cilantro, red onion slices, avocado, sriracha mayo and lime slices.
- Slowly add 1 teaspoon of sriracha to the mayonnaise while whisking. Adjust to your taste.
Kelley @ Chef Savvy says
Fish tacos are the best. Your version looks absolutely amazing! I need to try asap!
Thanks to your very clear instructions, this light meal turned out rather messy but with all the great flavors of Mexico. Even though fish is not my favorite, I enjoyed the grilled fish tacos and will surely use this recipe again, but then in the galley on our sailboat!
Sriracha is a type of hot sauce or chili sauce made from a paste of chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce
Aunt Kelly says
Hey, I've never had sriracha. What is it?