So what are you drinking on Cinco de Mayo? If you are into hot (as in spicy) and smoky, then you might want to be drinking this super refreshing Mezcal Margarita.
I have a slight obsession with smoky foods and almost always have to order the cocktail on a bar menu that has Mezcal in it. It’s a lot of fun to switch up the traditional Margarita with tequila’s cousin. Not everyone loves smoky flavor, and that’s totally fine and leaves more for us.
The heat comes from jalapeño peppers and the smokiness from the mezcal. If you aren’t into the heat, you can leave out the jalapeños. If you love heat, maybe add more than I did. If you don’t love smoke, you could use Tequila instead of Mezcal. If none of these flavors are for you, then you probably wouldn’t be here right now.
Hot and Smoky Mezcal MargaritaPrint Pin Rate
- 2 Jalapeño slices seeds removed
- 1.5 oz Mezcal
- 1.5 oz Triple Sec or other orange liqueur
- 1 oz lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Agave nectar
- Course salt
- Lime wheels and additional Jalapeño slices for garnish
- Rub a lime wedge around the rim of a rocks glass, then role the rim in course salt to coat. Fill the glass with ice and set aside.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle the Jalapeño slices, then add the ice, mezcal, triple sec, lime juice and agave nectar.
- Shake until frost starts to form on the cocktail shaker, about 30 seconds.
- Pour into the glass through a strainer and garnish with a lime wheel and a jalapeño slice.