With the holidays upon us, we will be eating a lot of dishes that are on the heavy side. A bright and refreshing sauce can do wonders to lighten up the entire meal, and this is just that sauce. This mint chimichurri sauce is great on meat roasts, steaks and this mint version is especially wonderful with a grilled rack of lamb.
What is Chimichurri?
Chimichurri is a fresh herb sauce that is used for both marinading and as a sauce to accompany meats. It originated in Argentina and there are many variations, including green and red versions.
Fresh mint, Italian parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, red pepper flakes, kosher salt and diced red onion are all you need to quickly make this bright and fresh tasting sauce or marinade. Just a few simple ingredients for this fresh-tasting sauce.
All of the ingredients except for the red onion go into the food processor (or a blender). You don’t want to over blend the chimichurri, or the bright green herbs can turn dark from the hot blades. Transfer to a small bowl or a mason jar and stir in the diced red onion.
- 1/2 cup packed fresh mint
- 1/2 cup packed fresh italian parsley
- 2 garlic cloves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 cup red wine vinegar or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Add the mint, parsley, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and salt to a blender or food processor.
- Pulse until the ingredients are well chopped, but not puréed. Be careful not to blend for too long as the blades can heat up and cause the bright green mint to turn dark. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides to process evenly.
- Transfer the chimichurri sauce to a small bowl or jar and stir in the diced red onion.
- Taste for seasoning and add more salt, red wine vinegar and pepper flakes as desired for your taste.
- Cover plastic wrap directly on top of the chimichurri and store in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
More delicous recipes
Cuisinart Food Processor (affiliate link)