When it comes to chicken, thighs are where it’s at. They have the most flavor and are the easiest to cook. The skin gets super crispy and the cooking time is much more forgiving than with chicken breasts. These baked chicken thighs couldn’t get any easier! This recipe produces chicken thighs with crispy skin, absolutely delicious fingerling potatoes that cook in a natural sauce that is formed with the juices from the chicken. Thyme and shallots are added for even more aromatic flavors.
Baked Chicken Thighs pair well with so many different sides. They’re especially delicious when they’re cooked with fingerling potatoes, though. And these are some beautiful little Ruby Crescent Fingerling Potatoes from Weiser Family Farms that I picked up from Specialty Produce in San Diego.
How To Cook Baked Chicken Thighs + Fingerling Potatoes
This baked chicken recipe could not get any easier! Simply place the potatoes and shallots in a shallow roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil, thyme and season well with kosher salt + freshly ground pepper.
Season the chicken on both sides and place right on top of the potatoes. Bake for 20 minutes at a high temperature of 450 degrees to get the skin super crispy, then lower the temperature down to 350 degrees for the remaining cook time of about 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Once cooked, serve the potatoes with a chicken thigh or two, then drizzle some of the natural sauce over the top. Yum!
The Baked Chicken Thighs cook up deliciously with just a seasoning of salt and pepper. However, adding different seasonings can be a tasty way to totally change up the recipe. Try using garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning and/or paprika. Seasoning blends work great too.
How To Use Leftover Baked Chicken
If you happen to have leftover chicken, you can freeze it or repurpose it in another recipe. The chicken thighs can be frozen for up to four months.
This recipe doesn’t require any strong seasonings, so you can add this chicken to so many different recipes. A few of my favorite ideas:
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Chicken Salad
What To Serve With Baked Chicken Thighs
The potatoes and chicken thighs are enough for a satisfying meal, but here are a few additional ideas.
- 1 shallot sliced
- 3/4 lb fingerling potatoes
- 3 sprigs thyme stems removed
- 2 to 4 skin on chicken thighs
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees on convection.
- Place the potatoes and sliced shallots in a heaving roasting pan or skillet. Drizzle with olive oil, the thyme and season well with salt and freshly ground pepper. Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper, then place on top of the potatoes.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 450, then reduce heat to 350 and continue to cook for 20 to 30 minutes more, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot and drizzle the natural juices from the pan around the plate.