Hasselback Potatoes originated in the fancy Hasselbacken hotel and restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden. They are a form of baked potatoes that are sliced thin crosswise and infused with flavors as they bake. While they are not traditionally made sweet potatoes, I found some beautiful baby purple sweet potatoes at the farmers market and thought they would be a perfect candidate. The smell from the brown butter and thyme while these are cooking is quite amazing, and the flavor is great too. The thyme flavor goes throughout every bite.
These are baby sweet potatoes, and will cook in much less time than large sweet potatoes.
Start by slicing off the ends and a thin portion off the bottom to make it safe and stable surface for making the slices.
A trick for cutting to the prefect depth is to place the potato between two chop sticks, then make your slices. This prevents the slices from going all the way through the potato.
[one_half centered_text="true"][/one_half][one_half_last centered_text="true"][/one_half_last]
Make the thyme-inflused brown butter by slowly heating the butter and thyme in a small sauce pan until the sugar from milk in the butter starts to brown. Thyme and butter go together so well and smell amazing.
Brush half of the brown butter onto the sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, then brush the remaining brown butter on the potatoes. Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes.
- 6 baby sweet potatoes I used purple
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme leaves removed from stems.
- kosher salt and pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the ends off the potatoes, then slice a base off the bottom for a stable base for slicing. Place a potato between two chopsticks and make ⅛" cross slices being careful not to slice all the way through.
- Make the brown butter: Heat the butter and thyme in a small saucepan on medium. Cook until the butter is beginning to brown (about 5 minutes).
- Place the potatoes in a parchment paper lined baking dish. Brush half of the brown butter and thyme on the potatoes inside the slices and season with salt & pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then brush the remaining brown butter on the potatoes.
- Bake for another 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are beginning to crisp and are cooked through (depends on the size of your sweet potatoes)
- Serve hot and garnish with sour cream or other baked potato toppings.