This is a quick, easy and very healthy sunflower sprout and tomato salad with a red wine vinaigrette straight from the farmer’s market. Go find the sprout guy or girl at your farmer’s market and ask for sunflower sprouts, they are definitely a hidden gem. These things are so fresh and healthy tasting, you could even eat them as a snack in a movie instead of popcorn. The acidity and pepperiness of the red wine vinaigrette combined with the shallots and tomatoes are a great and balanced combination.
You can add some goat cheese, buffalo mozzarella or parmesan to kick it up a notch.
Sunflower Sprout + Tomato SaladPrint Pin Rate
- 4 oz sunflower sprouts rinsed and dried
- 2 to matoes cut in wedges
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon +/- honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt + pepper to taste
- Whisk the red wine vinegar, honey and dijon in a medium bowl to combine. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking to create an emulsion. Add more honey to adjust sweetness and season with salt + pepper to taste. Add the sliced shallots to the vinaigrette and let sit for a few minutes.
- Placed the tomato slices around the plate with a slice of shallot on top of each. Add the sunflower sprouts to the middle of the plate, creating as much height as possible.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over all ingredients and season with a little salt + pepper.