Next time you are at your local farmer's market, keep an eye out for these delicious sprouts. They are just so fresh tasking and great to nibble on, but even better as a delicious and healthy salad.
You can even grow these sprouts at home pretty easily. Check out this how-to from SproutPeople and another from Raw and Living Foods. I definitely want to give it a try soon.
You can add some goat cheese, buffalo mozzarella or parmesan to the salad kick it up a notch.
More Salad Recipes You'll Love
Sunflower Sprout + Tomato Salad
- 4 oz sunflower sprouts rinsed and dried
- 2 tomatoes cut in wedges
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk the red wine vinegar, honey and dijon in a medium bowl to combine. Slowly add the olive oil while whisking to create an emulsion. Add more honey to adjust sweetness and season with salt + pepper to taste. Add the sliced shallots to the vinaigrette and let sit for a few minutes.
- Placed the tomato slices around the plate with a slice of shallot on top of each. Add the sunflower sprouts to the middle of the plate, creating as much height as possible.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over all ingredients and season with a little salt + pepper. Enjoy!
- Add some goat cheese or shaved parmesan to add another element of richness.