This dish came from is one of those visits to the farmers market when you can't help but buying random ingredients that look too amazing not to bring home. These are some of my favorite and most creative dishes when you just put together what you have and it can work so well.
The texture and flavor of the delicate roasted chanterelles, sweet and crunchy yellow wax beans, the egg and acidity from the vinaigrette is such a wonderful combination.
These beautiful Chanterelle Mushrooms are from the Farmers Market area of Specialty Produce in San Diego.
Roasting mushrooms is so easy. Just combine the mushrooms with a little olive oil, shallots and thyme. Roast in a 400 degree oven until they start to turn golden. I prefer not to add salt to the mushrooms until after they are cooked, or too much liquid is drawn out and they can shrivel down to almost nothing before browning.
- ½ lb chanterelle mushrooms cleaned and sliced
- 1 shallot chopped fine
- 3 thyme sprigs
- olive oil
- ½ lb yellow wax beans rinsed and stem end removed
- 2 scallions sliced thin
- salt & pepper
- 2 eggs boiled medium (or to you preference)
- butter lettuce
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chopped shallot (reserve 1 teaspoon for the vinaigrette), thyme leaves, 4 tablespoons olive oil and gently mix. Place the mushrooms on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast for about 20 minutes, or until the mushrooms start to turn golden brown.
- Meanwhile, blanch the yellow wax beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Slice the beans cross-wise into ½" slices.
- To make the vinaigrette: Combine 1 teaspoon chopped shallot, sherry vinegar, honey and dijon in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil to create an emulsion. Adjust honey level for sweetness and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- To serve: Gently mix the mushrooms, yellow wax beans and scallions with the vinaigrette. Spoon on top of a bed of butter lettuce and top with an egg sliced in half. Season to taste with salt & pepper.