The perfect baked potato is light and fluffy on the inside and has a crispy flavorful outside. It also has to be super hot all the way through to the center for melting all those favorite toppings together to create something worthy of being the main attraction.
This is one of those recipes that is so simple it really isn’t a recipe. I had asked myself if you can bake a potato in the air fryer. Turns out that the answer is a definite yes, and it comes out great.
Here’s the recipe just in case you want to know how to make the perfect crispy fluffy baked potatoes in way less time than in the oven.
Baking a potato in the air fryer saves time
Air fryers just seem to make everything better. A lot of the time, this means healthier cooking because you use less fat. In the case of the baked potato, it doesn’t really make baked potatoes healthier, but it makes the cooking time so much quicker. The air fryer speeds up the baked potato cooking time by about 15 to 20 minutes. This is reason enough to make it your go-to method.
While you can also make a baked potato in the microwave in about 10 minutes; it’s never going to get that delicious crispy skin and the inside is a bit more prone to get waxy rather than fluffy.
How long to bake a potato in an air fryer
Cooking a baked potato in an air fryer takes between 30 and 40 minutes, but
Tips for making baked potatoes in the air fryer
- Scrub and dry the potato well. The dryer the potato is, the crispier the skin will get because it will be frying instead of steaming.
- Let it go longer if needed.
- The magic number is 205º F for the internal temperature. Use a Thermapen instant-read thermometer (affiliate) instant-read thermometer to verify the internal temperature of the potato. They will be light and fluffy at 205º.
Toppings for baked potatoes
It’s not a baked potato unless it’s got your favorite toppings. Here are a few ideas just in case you need some inspiration.
- green onions or chives
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped bacon
- everything bagel seasoning (goes great with the above toppings)
Contains affiliate links where I will earn a small commission if you make a purchase, at no extra cost to you, which helps support this site.
- Air Fryer: I use and love the amazing Breville Smart Oven Air because it has so many uses besides air frying.
- Instant Read Thermometer: The Thermapen Mk4 is the best probe thermometer on the market and is an essential tool that’s worth every penny.
Air Fryer Baked PotatoPrint Pin Rate
- 1 medium russet potato
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat the air fryer to 400º F.
- Clean and dry the potatoes with a towel. Drizzle a little olive oil all over the skin, then sprinkle some kosher salt on top.
- Place in the air fryer basket and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 205º F. It might take longer depending on the size of the potato, your specific air fryer and how many potatoes you are cooking.
- Use a fork to slice and open the potato right before adding your favorite toppings and enjoying.
- Recipe is for one potato, but can be scaled up to more. Cooking times might increase slightly.
- You can do the pinch test to see if the potatoes are finished cooking, but checking the actual internal temperature is more accurate.