Your quick guide to the best sides for brisket! A delicious and juicy brisket deserves the perfect sides to complement its big flavors. Whether you're looking for classic dishes or unique and creative options, we've got you covered on what to serve with brisket.
Brisket is a staple on barbecue menus. As wonderful as smoked brisket is by itself, it's really the sides that bring it all together and make for the most memorable meal. Sides that complement the smoky, super rich flavors are. Classics like coleslaw, potato salad and pickled red onions deserve a spot on the table every time. Lighter salads and veggie sides add some healthy nutrition to the spread.
A Few Tips for Throwing the Best BBQ
- Use butcher paper as your tablecloth. You can even write right on it for the buffet table and make cool signs.
- Provide plenty of napkins or just bring out the roll of paper towels. Things are going to get messy. Make some DIY wet wipes with lemon for clean hands after a messy meal.
- Batch a signature cocktail. Try this classic whiskey sour or a mezcal margarita which is great with smoked meat.
- Don't do too much. A few sides is really all you need to go along with the main attraction, which in this case is brisket.
- It's all in the prep. Start early and even smoke your brisket overnight. Make sides the day before. They are usually easy to store in teh fridge and re-heat when you need them.
- Give away the leftovers - Pick up some to go containers so your guests can bring somethign home with them.
Now let's get to the sides!
Classic Sides For Brisket
Here are some classic sides that pair perfectly with juicy, smoky flavorful brisket.
Unique and Creative Sides
Elevate your BBQ menu with some unique and creative side dishes that will surprise and delight your taste buds.
Healthy and Light Options
Explore some healthier options that are on the lighter side to complement the savory and rich brisket.
The feast wouldn't be complete without the desserts. And you really have to "wow" everyone after the impressive brisket.
Pairing the right sides for your brisket feast is so important to making the most memorable meal. While you might not need many, having a few diverse options is a great way to make sure everyone gets something they will love.
33+ Best Brisket Sides
- 2 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoon vinegar (distilled, red wine or apple cider)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet pickles, chopped
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoon scallions or green onions, sliced thin
- Diamond kosher salt and pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmann's brand)
- 2 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Wash and peel the potatoes, then dice into ¾" pieces. Add to a pot and cover with 1" of cold water.
- Cook the potatoes - Bring to a boil over high heat and add 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, then reduce heat to simmer. Cook until fork-tender but not mushy, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Prep the remaining ingredients while the potatoes cook and make the dressing by whisking the dressing ingredients in a large bowl until combined.
- Drain the cooked potatoes in a colander, then add back to the pot and gently toss with the vinegar. Let cool slightly.
- Add the potatoes to the dressing bowl while still warm along with the hard-boiled eggs, pickles, onion and scallion. Gently fold together to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust with more salt or vinegar as needed.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve with a sprinkle of chopped scallion or parsley on top.